February 18, 2010

About the name.....and that picture

Many folks have asked where the name "Captain SAH" came from. Today the secret is at long last revealed. It comes from the old PC flight simulator "Red Baron" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Baron_%28video_game%29) . In that game, you created a pilot who had a full "career" as a World War I flying ace. I spent a lot of time playing that game. Anyway, as your character advanced, he would gain rank, from a lowly 2nd lieutenant to a squadron-leading captain. I often used my initials as my character name, so eventually I was flying daring dogfighting missions as "Captain SAH" in a Sopwith Camel (or other craft). I liked the look of it, and it just stuck.

As for the picture, that's me modeling for my yearly NFL preview (http://home.swbell.net/captsah/nflpreview). If you've ever had the good fortune to read one of those preview rags from just about any publisher, you'll recognize the cheesy "Vegas" look that's on every bookie's advertisement. It never fails to crack me up. If Vegas Vinnie can really predict football outcomes as well as he claims, how come he's reduced to schlepping "advice" over 1-900 lines and subscription services? Couldn't he just make a killing with his own cash? And look at how well he dresses! He MUST know what he's doing!! So the picture is just my take on it. I thought it fit with the blog.

That's it for now. I'll have far more interesting information and opinions in the days ahead, especially as the MLS season (and this summer's World Cup) draws near. Hope you'll come back!

SAH

No comments:

Post a Comment